For over 45 years, Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, Inc. has been at the forefront of the environmental movement as champion of the Hudson River, working to pass landmark legislation like the Clean Water Act, and providing innovative educational programs, environmental advocacy, and musical celebrations, including the renowned annual Clearwater Festival, to inspire, educate, and activate millions of people.
Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, Inc. is a 501(c)3 tax exempt nonprofit, member-supported corporation whose mission is to preserve and protect the Hudson River, its tributaries and related bodies of water. As an organization, Clearwater works to provide innovative environmental programs, advocacy, and celebrations designed to inspire, educate and activate the next generation of environmental leaders.
The organization had its beginnings in 1966, a time when the Hudson was rank with raw sewage, toxic chemicals and oil pollution. Musician and activist Pete Seeger along with several friends had a vision to build a majestic replica of the sloops that sailed the Hudson in the 18th and 19th centuries that would bring people to the river where they could experience its beauty and be moved to preserve it. Inspired by that vision, the organization began with the launch of the sloop Clearwater in 1969 —a majestic 106-foot long replica vessel that is recognized today as America’s Environmental Flagship.
Today, Clearwater is carrying forward Pete Seeger’s legacy, partnering with schools and community leaders to raise the bar of environmental education, realizing that this time the health of the Hudson River must go hand in hand with creating a sustainable world of green jobs in a green economy. Clearwater’s unique approach to public outreach has made the sloop Clearwater a symbol of grassroots action through hands-on learning, music and celebration.
Our primary concerns are:
- To educate the general populace as to the importance of preserving the Hudson River, its tributaries and watershed, and other similar river systems
- To inspire, educate, and activate a new generation of environmental leaders for a sustainable future bringing about positive changes to protect our planet and utilizing the greatest natural resource in the region, the Hudson River
- To foster stewardship and community involvement to preserve and protect our environment by encouraging green infrastructure solutions and green energy alternatives
- To protect the well-being of communities who dwell along its banks and related areas in the cause of environmental justice
- To conduct other actions that will enhance and improve the environment of the Hudson River Valley and the region
- To foster the historic and cultural heritage of the Hudson River Valley from the mountains to the sea