A Stream Program is a series of educational lessons designed to support our sailing experience by leading teachers and students to a greater depth of understanding and a higher commitment to change the world. We believe that our Hudson River education can make an impact on a student before their sail has begun, and long after it is over.
This involves inviting Clearwater educators into your classroom for pre- and post-trip programs, and using our online lesson plans and resources provides an in-depth, place-based learning path for your students. Our program components are based on grade-appropriate New York State learning standards with a focus on Common Core and Regents exam topics to fulfill your group’s curriculum requirements.
Streams: The Best Way to Extend the Impact of Your Clearwater Sail Program
Arts and Literature Stream:
Through place-based education, students explore the creative works of those who have come before them, from the paintings of the Hudson River School to the music of Pete Seeger, and discover how the arts inspire and support environmental and social movements.
Take your students on a journey through time. Observing historically significant landmarks and practicing traditional maritime skills gives students a new appreciation of their- and the Hudson River’s- place in history.
Students explore the Hudson River by transforming the ship into a sailing laboratory. The scientific method, field research and data collection combine to drive inquiry-based education on the water.
Each Stream is Comprised of:
- Lesson Plans and Hudson River Materials: Physical copies of The Hudson, Clearwater’s Fish Key, and online lessons provided for teachers to prepare and inform their students.
- In-Class Program: Hands on activities led by Clearwater educators, before or after your trip!
- Sailing Classroom Program: A three-hour sailing journey on the Hudson River aboard the majestic ships: Sloop Clearwater or the schooner Mystic Whaler.
- Clearwater Classroom Membership: Achievement patches for each student and a monthly subscription to “Clearwater’s Estuary Star” newsletter.
- Action Activities: Follow-up activities to help students put into action what they have learned and experienced throughout the Stream sequence.
How much does a Stream Program Cost?
Basic Sailing Classroom Program Cost = $1250.00
+ Streams components = $375.00
Full Streams Program Cost = $1625.00
* School programs are one hour in duration for each individual class. Additional classroom programs on the same day cost $100.00 and each seperate day of classroom programs costs $300.00. Contact us about details for schools with multiple sailing programs.