When Nuclear Plants Close: A Regional Forum on Nuclear Waste Storage and Decommissioning
Friday, June 9, 2017, Desmond-Fish Library, Garrison, NY
9:45 a.m. Registration Check In
10:00 a.m. Welcome: Traci Bauer, LoHud Executive Editor;
Manna Jo Greene, Environmental Action Director, Hudson River Sloop Clearwater
10:05 a.m. Nuclear Waste Management: Moderator: Gary Stern, LoHud; Panel: Gordon Edwards and Bob Alvarez.
- Overview of post-closure radiation. Health and Environmental and Health Impacts — Gordon Edwards
- “Spent” Fuel pools at Indian Point: – Dr. Robert Alvarez
11:10 a.m. Decommissioning: Moderator: Gary Stern; Panel: Tim Judson, Kevin Kamps, Paul Gunter, Geoff Fettus.
- DECON, SAFSTOR or Planned Decommissioning and Site Restoration, Tim Judson, NIRS
- Fuel Transfer: Hardened On-Site Storage (HOSS) vs. clustered configuration. Kevin Kamps, Beyond Nuclear
- Radiological Monitoring and Site Assessment: Geoff Fettus. NRDC
- Value of performing a nuclear “autopsy” to inform other operating reactors– Paul Gunter, Beyond Nuclear
- Nuclear Waste Transport to Offsite Storage: Consolidated Interim Storage; permanent repository. Kevin Kamps
- Decommissioning Rule – Basis for rulemaking (2017); rulemaking (2018). Geoff Fettus, NRDC
- Q & A with full morning panel
12:30 p.m. Lunch
1:30 p.m. Decommissioning Funding and Planning: Moderator: Nancy Cutler, LoHud
Panel: Tim Judson, Deb Katz, and Mike Dulong.
- Adequacy of Decommissioning Funding: Can we prevent decommissioning from becoming a burden on taxpayers/ratepayers? What does decommissioning fund cover, when does it end? Jurisdictional issues in regulated vs. deregulated states. Other sources of funding for communities. Tim Judson, NIRS
- Sale to Decommissioning “Specialists”: Possible transfer of plant to entity that specializes in decommissioning, such as North Star; need to retain workers with technical knowledge and institutional memory. Deb Katz, CAN
- Leaks and groundwater contamination at Indian Point: Mike Dulong, Riverkeeper
- Q & A
2:30 p.m. Lessons Learned from Other States: What worked and what didn’t. Moderator: Swapna Venugopal,
LoHud. Panel: Deb Katz, Mayor Al Hill, Dave Kraft and Geoff Fettus
- Case Studies from Zion in Illinois, Dave Kraft, NEIS and Mayor Al Hill; VT Yankee, Yankee Rowe, CT Yankee, Pilgrim, Palisades, Deb Katz. CAN
- Importance of Community Advisory Boards: NRC allows for CABs – but does not require them. Need for public participation, effective input and citizen oversight; independent inspections; and accountability at state and federal level. Deb Katz and Dave Kraft
- Just Transition: Diablo Canyon Case Study; Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Report and Guidelines – best practices derived from nuclear facilities that have closed and been decommissioned. Geoff Fettus , NRDC
- Workforce Development, Retention, Training and Placement for workers whose jobs will be gradually downsized to be able to transition to other related industries. Dave Kraft , NEIS
- Q & A
3:50 p.m. What’s next? Full Panel Discussion and Q & A: Moderated by Manna Jo Greene.
4:30 p.m. Adjourn
Special thanks to the Jack and Belle Alpern Foundation for making this event possible.